Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Highland trip -- Oban

I actually rented a car and drove in the UK, if you can believe it!  It's not hard driving on the opposite side of the road, or on the opposite side of the car... the hard part is driving down narrow, tiny lanes which would sometimes turn into a 'one car only' road.  So needless to say, it was very interesting when you ran across another person on these roads.  I was white-knuckling it the whole way... but I survived!  :)  I can safely say that I will not be renting a car for here for a LONG time.

We started out by driving up to Oban, which is on the west coast.  So pretty!  I wish that I could have taken pictures, but I was driving. I'll have to steal some from my friends.  Here are some pictures that I did manage to take from Oban.


The city of Oban... I'm not sure what that structure is
up there, but it looks cool!

 The 'horseshoe bay' at Oban

 More bay pics...

Oban


Dodgy looking hotel (we did not stay there)

This may not seem exciting, but I haven't been to an actual
supermarket in forever!  It was so big and beautiful!  It made my day.


The main reason for going to Oban was to go to the whisky distillery there.  Well, we didn't get to Oban until 6pm on Friday, and the distillery closed at 4pm.  Nice!  We didn't plan the trip out very well, but we still had fun.  Basically we had some dinner, went to a pub, went to bed, and then headed out early the next day for our next adventure.  To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. See now, when I envisioned you driving in Scotland, I really pictured more a Chevy Chase, Big Ben, Parliament type of odyssey. This seems like it was almost too easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! if it makes you feel better, jeff... we almost died about 5 times. :)

    ReplyDelete